The Wisconsin State Fair Park (WSFP) is seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and dedicated candidate to work as a Youth Center Food Service Cook. The ideal candidate will be reliable, timely, and have a strong work ethic. Under the supervision of the Food Service General Manager, Cooks are responsible for preparation of all meals during the 12.5 days we serve meals for the Wisconsin State Fair. The kitchen will feed approximately 700 – 1,000 4-H kids, three meals a day for the 12.5 days of service. We currently have six openings for Food Service Cooks.
This position is an unclassified Limited Term Employment (LTE) position within the State of Wisconsin employment system. These are temporary positions that will work up to 3 weeks a year prior to and during the annual Wisconsin State Fair. Qualified candidates must have availability from July 30 – August 14, 2017.
Hourly wage is $10.00 – $12.00 per hour depending on experience.
WHO CAN APPLY
This position is open to Wisconsin residents and to qualified candidates who meet the outlined criteria and are interested in the field of Culinary Arts.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Serv Safe food handling practices.
- Demonstrate knowledge and practice basic safe food handling procedures, including the preparation, service and storage of various types of food.
- Follow established food cost control procedures to prevent loss due to theft, spoilage, overproduction and waste.
- Follow established recipes to prepare meals outlined on menu
- Ensure that meals are properly prepped for next shift and cooking area is clean and sanitized by shift end.
- Youth Center Food Service Cooks will be required to demonstrate proficiency in sanitation, workplace safety and food production. This position will involve meal production.
- Youth Center Food Service Cooks must have excellent communication skills and be able to work with a diverse workforce.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Strong organizational skills are a must.
- Ability to withstand an ever-changing, fast-paced environment, remain calm under pressure and maintain a positive, can-do attitude.
- Friendly and positive demeanor.
Candidate must be able to work in the days leading up to and all 11 days of the annual Wisconsin State Fair; for 2017 these dates are August 3 – 13, 2017. The position is full-time in the days leading up to the Fair and during the annual Wisconsin State Fair. Prior to appointment to this position, the candidate will be subject to a comprehensive criminal background check.
Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to MaryKay.Pfeffer@wistatefair.com with TGT Youth Center Cook in the subject line. Application materials will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis and the most qualified applicants will be invited to interview until the position is filled. Questions may be directed to Mary Kay Pfeffer, Commercial Vendor Director, at 414.266.4218.
Wisconsin State Fair Park is a year-round entertainment venue hosting activities, events, meetings and more throughout the four seasons. Home to the Exposition Center, Tommy G. Thompson Youth Center, the Milwaukee Mile Speedway, Products Pavilion and many other facilities, hundreds of events are held at the Fair Park each year. Perhaps the most notable and certainly the signature event, the Wisconsin State Fair, welcomes more than one million Fairgoers over 11 summer days. Visit www.wistatefair.com for more information.
Wisconsin State Fair Park’s central location within the largest metro area in Wisconsin makes it a desirable place to work, live and play. As a world-class city, Milwaukee and the Greater Milwaukee Area are full of opportunities galore for living, working and playing. Visit www.discovermilwaukee.com for more information.
Wisconsin State Fair Park is an equal opportunity employer seeking a diverse and talented workforce. While performing the duties of this specific job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; climb; use ladders; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
All Limited Term and Seasonal Employment Positions, including those for the annual Wisconsin State Fair, require Wisconsin Residency, as defined in § 6.10(1), at the time of hire and throughout employment with Wisconsin State Fair Park.