The Wisconsin State Fair certainly has a reputation for unique and unusual foods, which is why we created our Annual Food Competition, The Sporkies, presented by Journal Sentinel. Each year eight finalists are selected from several dozen entries, and a panel of celebrity judges choose the recipients of three Golden Spork Awards.
Congratulations to the Sixth Annual Sporkies finalists!
Final judging and presentation of the 2018 Golden Spork Awards will take place during the Fair on Wednesday, Aug 8 at the Associated Bank Amphitheater at 11 am. The Sporkies Finals will be hosted by Emmy-winning “Wisconsin Foodie” host Kyle Cherek, and will be judged by the following local celebrities:
- Nancy Stohs – Nancy Stohs is the Journal Sentinel’s award-winning food, home and gardening editor.
- LeRoy Butler – LeRoy Butler is the self-proclaimed best mac n’ cheese maker alive, former Green Bay Packer and inventor of the Lambeau Leap. Some say he is a better chef than football player.
- John McGivern – John McGivern is the host of the very popular Milwaukee PBS Series AROUND THE CORNER with John McGivern and is thrilled that he’s been asked to participate in a State Fair activity he feels he’s an expert in: eating.
- Steve Palec – Steve Palec has been the host of Rock & Roll Roots on WKLH, one of the top rated and longest running shows on Milwaukee Radio, for over 30 years.
Below are the 2018 Sporkies entries. Finalists are BOLD.
Congratulations to our past winners!
- First Place: Spaghetti and Meatballs Mozzarella Sticks – Albanese’s Roadhouse
- Second Place: Chocomela Nachos – La Coppa Artisan Gelato
- Third Place: Budweiser Pavilion Triple Threat – Budweiser Pavilion
- #FairgoersFave Winner: Monkey Business – Saz’s BBQ
- First Place: Root Beer Float Cake – Sprecher Landing & Sprecher Root Beer Everything
- Second Place: Klement’s Famous Racing Sausages Corn Dog – Saz’s Bavarian Haus
- Third Place: Deep Fried Ol’ Fashioned – Water Street Brewery
- #FairgoersFave Winner: Klement’s Famous Racing Sausages Corn Dog – Saz’s Bavarian Haus
- First Place: Wis-Cone-Sin – Water Street Brewery
- Second Place: Bacon Bottom Porker Pizza – Brew City
- Third Place: Cheesy Smoked Gouda Sidewinder Fries – Tropics at the Fair
- #FairgoersFave Winner: Deep Fried Pretzel Crusted Brownies On-a-Stick – Saz’s Ribs
- Best Tasting – Dolce Panino from La Coppa Gelato
- Most Creative – Dolca Panino from La Coppa Gelato
- Grand Champion – Dolce Panino from La Coppa Gelato
- #FairgoersFave Winner – Bacon Wrapped Cherrywood Smoked Pork Belly On-A-Stick
- Best Tasting – Island Slaw from Island Noodles
- Most Creative – Mela Fritta Gelato On-A-Stick from La Coppa Gelato
- Grand Champion – Mela Fritta Gelato On-A-Stick from La Coppa Gelato