The third annual Sporkies Competition will once again promote creativity and ingenuity among Fair food vendors, who are encouraged to add some flair and pizzazz to their entries. To be considered for the competition, vendors must submit a new food item (like the Bacon Bottom Porker Pizza pic. below) as well as a detailed description, ingredient list and photos.
NEW this year, the final judging and presentation of The Golden Spork Award will take place DURING the Fair at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug 12.
The judging panel will be moderated by “Wisconsin Foodie” host, all-around food aficionado and emcee Kyle Cherek. The 2015 Sporkies celebrity judges include:
- Nick Chipman, Dudefoods.com blogger
- Nancy Stohs, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Food Editor
(Two other celebrity judges will be announced soon!)
Also NEW this year, one lucky Fairgoer will have the opportunity to sit alongside the celebrity panel of judges and taste-test the creations as a guest judge. Interested foodies will be able to enter a social media contest throughout the month of July using the hashtag #Sporkies2015.
Fair guests are once again encouraged to participate in the judging during the Fair by sampling all of The Sporkies entries (like the Maple & Bacon Glazed Chocolate Buttercream filled Long John pic. left) and then voting for their favorites via social media or at the Guest Services Pavilion, located on Central Avenue near Central Park and the Exposition Center. Judging for the #FairgoersFave will be open Thursday, Aug. 6 – Tuesday, Aug. 11.
Golden Spork winners’ stands will be marked with large banners and ALL vendors who entered will feature a poster at their Fair location(s). All food items entered will also be available for purchase during this year’s State Fair.
2015 Sporkies Finalists:
- Bacon Bottom Porker Pizza – Brew City
- Beer Battered Pretzel Coated Deep Fried Cheese Curds – Tropics at the Fair
- Cheesy Smoked Gouda Sidewinder Fries – Tropics at the Fair
- Churro Sundae – Mexican Grill
- Deep Fried Pretzel Crusted Brownies On-a-Stick – Saz’s Ribs
- Gyro Meatballs – Apollo’s Gyros
- Party Hard Flight Dessert – Sprecher Landing
- Wis-Cone-Sin – Water Street Brewery (pic. right)
Please CLICK HERE for a list for all of the 2015 Sporkies Entries and Finalists.